Lessons learned during my winter vacation

Tomorrow I have to go back to work after more than a week off. Here’s what I’ve learned in the last 10 days:

• I would not hesitate for one nanosecond if I was told I could quit corporate life and still have a legal way to pay my bills and keep health insurance.
  • I need a half a week to stop feeling like I have to be “productive”. Then, I need the other half to be a sloth before I can get motivated to go back to some balanced, semi-productive state.
  • Pittsburgh in January is not a bad vacation spot when all you have to do is run errands now and then, and spend the rest of your time sitting on the sofa watching Vh1 and E! reality TV shows.
  • My house becomes very clean and organized when I’m home. Sadly, this will last for only another 24 hours.
  • When I’m at home all day, I don’t feel any more inspired to cook dinner than when I’m working.
  • A week off did little for advancing my writing projects, partly due to recovering from my eye surgery, partly because I was just plain lazy. Although this morning I did tape an interview for/with a small local radio station that likes to profile area residents – a great opportunity and experience. We talked about writing, my Chicken Soup essay publication, and future writing plans…which won’t get very far if I don’t get crackin’ again. (I need to keep an eye on #1 up there!) Now I’m motivated — just in time to resume a 9 to 5 job. Maybe there’s truth in the old adage, “if you want something done, give it to a busy person.”
  • I like not having to wear pantyhose every day.
  • I like to spend money when I’m not working…
  • …Which means I definitely need to go back to work.

Tags: , , , ,

7 Responses to “Lessons learned during my winter vacation”

1. Lulu | January 21, 2008, 2:03 pm

There is such a thing as watching too many Vh1 and E! reality shows.

Oh, tell me about it, girlfriend. Try watching 6 straight episodes of What Not to Wear. It’s mind-boggling and a bit scary.

2. Madame Queen | January 21, 2008, 2:57 pm

I purposefully didn’t go to the mall today even though I was *dying* to go because I knew I would spend money I don’t have. There’s something about not working that just makes me want to go out and buy something!

3. Tonya | January 21, 2008, 3:50 pm

Right there with you!

Shouldn’t we get something for just being a mother of two? That should at least be worth, I dunno, $100K/year or so?

4. curt | January 21, 2008, 4:17 pm

…and that small local radio station would be?????

5. Sophie | January 21, 2008, 4:36 pm

I’m with ya on so many of these points… especially the first two bullets.

6. Mary | January 21, 2008, 4:55 pm

Hi Susan! Did you finally catch up with Dave? When will the interview air?

7. Susan | January 22, 2008, 9:56 pm

Lulu: I might be able to contest the scary factor with some of the shows I watched. Yikes. I think half of my brain rotted away. At least with Stacey and Clinton and sunny girl Carmondy one can glean a few tips.

Madame: I ran out late yesterday afternoon for one last shopping outing. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not blowing my life savings on things…I just impulse shop more, decide to redecorate the house, etc.

Tonya and Sophie: Ah, we can dream can’t we — quitting the rat race! It’s funny, but there was a point in my life where I wouldn’t have been able to imagine doing that. Ha, let me at it now!

Curt and Mary: I don’t know when the “It’s Your Turn” interview on WISR-680 AM will air — sounded like sometime in the next 2 weeks, maybe as early as Friday. I’ll let you know. Dave at the station will get back to me. It was a good learning experience for me and might be a good listening experience for…my mom and dad! :)