Your Buddhalicious Nearest Book

Buddha@Hong Kong
Buddha@Hong Kong, originally uploaded by hk_traveller.
Elizabeth at Love, Elizabeth tagged me for this — it’s a good one and easy! Here are the rules:
  1. Pick up the nearest book.
  2. Open to page 123.
  3. Locate the fifth sentence.
  4. Post the next three sentences on your blog and in so doing…
  5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged me.

When I saw Elizabeth’s selection (one of my favorite books, Pride & Prejudice) I was at work and the closest book was a dictionary. I decided to wait until I got home and here I am.

…Reaching for the bookshelf… Aha!

I bought the book If the Buddha Dated by Charlotte Kasl about two years ago. As you may have gathered by now, I can be fairly philosophical about life and love (but not so much about laundry, as in my blog’s tagline — I mean how much does one need to ponder the meaning in a pile of Power Rangers underwear?). Anyway, as the title implies, the book is about dating and finding intimate relationships along the spiritual path — and finding peace within yourself even if it’s not your time to be with someone. It’s a little hokey pokey in a few places, but really rather good overall. I especially like this part, which has nothing to do with the meme, but I’ll share it with you anyway:

“Each person has a story to tell. Some of the chapters are heroic. Some of them are about loss, some about fear, some about achievement or joy, just like my story… When you say good-bye to someone or decide not to see them again, remember you are a moment in their story. Make it a story that doesn’t leave a scar.”

Cool, right? So I turn to Page 123 and follow the instructions above. I notice the title of this section is “When the Buddha Makes Love.”

Oh, my. I’m not sure I signed up for this. When Jeff Mac writes about something embarrassing on his blog, Manslations, he’ll joke that he’s faint of heart because he’s from Connecticut. Well, Jeffrey, I’m from the friggin’ midwest!

I digress. Here’s what I’m supposed to quote:

“…At a spiritual level, making love is an experience of the shared heart that flourishes alongside honesty, love, and commitment. It flows from knowing each other well and desiring to dissolve into the heart and body of each other. It can’t be learned through a how-to manual, or instruction book, because it uniquely reflects all of who you are.”

Well, that wasn’t so bad — no talk of the Big O until further down the page (and we ain’t talking Oprah, honey). Those sentences are spot on, don’t you think?

Wait, I didn’t mean…uh…

I’m putting the book back right now.

I’m going to try something different here because I don’t follow directions well. Instead of tagging people, why don’t you leave me a comment with your 3 sentences from the book nearest to you? (And if you have a blog, feel free to post it, too!)

Please no Kama Sutra if you can help it. I’m not sure my heart can take it. Or just send it to me separately. ;)

Tags: , , , , ,

11 Responses to “Your Buddhalicious Nearest Book”

1. Liz C | May 21, 2008, 12:19 am

OK, I’ve taken a cold shower and grabbed a nearby book. Here ya go. From ‘On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen’ by Harold McGee, pp123

‘Today, with one fifteenth of the world’s population, the United States eats one third of the world’s meat. Meat consumption on this scale is possible only in wealthy societies like our own, because animal flesh remains a much less efficient source of nourishment than plant protein. It takes much less grain to feed a person than it does to feed a steer or a chicken in order to feed a person.’

Geez, I like yours better, Susan. I may have to go buy that book. I mean, Harold’s nice and all, but it sounds like Buddha rocks.
    ;)

2. Judy Schneider | May 21, 2008, 9:14 am

Okay, there’s something wrong with me because I think this exercise is really fun (diagnosis begins with a capital “L”).

The problem I’m having is the fifth sentences on my page 123s are great. But what follows is not. So, like Susan (and unlike Susan), I’m going to break the rules (but in a different way) and share some of my page 123-fifth sentences.

1. Daughter’s religion text book (it seriously was the nearest book as daughter was writing a paper last night and, yes, neglected to turn off the laptop which burned out and blinked its warning upon resuscitation): “It was part of God’s plan.”

2. Next nearest book, The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing by Evan Marshall (which I should be reading/working through rather than hanging out on people’s blogs): “Suddenly it all makes sense.” (Yeah right, in novel writing, nothing makes sense!)

3. The Host by Stephanie Meyer: “Her face was a mass of wrinkles, all of them turning down into angry lines.”

So if you put them all together, you have: “It was a part of God’s plan. Suddenly it all makes sense. Her face was a mass of wrinkles, all of them turning down into angry lines.”

What’s the message here? Boycott Botox. You’re going to get old and wrinkly anyway. Suddenly it all makes sense. Thanks Buddha!

3. Jeff Mac | May 21, 2008, 10:39 am

Whew — Susan, when you said you were going to quote about the Buddha getting it on, I got a little nervous. But even my New England soul can take that quote.

My nearest book: Slapstick by Kurt Vonnegut. The three sentences:

“I could read and write. And, even as we rolled through the lovely country-side, my forgettery set to work. It was a protective mechanism against unbearable grief, one which I, as a pediatrician, am persuaded all children have.”

‘Forgettery.’ I knew there was a reason I love that guy — if he needs a word that isn’t there, he makes one up.

4. Beth | May 21, 2008, 2:21 pm

My nearest book and current reading material is “Audition” by Barbara Walters – so on page 123 – 5th sentence:

This is Barbara talking about a casual converstaion she had with Jackie Kennedy Onasis …

“She (Jackie) said she could never keep up with their athletic pursuits and hated the competitive waterskiing, tennis games, and so on.”

Again – not as interesting as yours Susan … but it was a fun exercise.

5. Elizabeth | May 21, 2008, 4:19 pm

Thanks for playing. I like your nontagging solution much better than tagging! Think I’ll do that from now on with tags!

Jeff – I LOVE “forgettery.” I haven’t read Vonnegut for years. Think I’ll have to go back and have another look.

6. Mini | May 21, 2008, 5:52 pm

“I was a really good mom before I had kids: Reinventing Modern Motherhood” by Trish Ashworth and Amy Nobile
    Page 123 is a checklist. So I randomly open the book to page 32.
    “This is an amazingly honest thing to say- I love being a mom I just hate doing it. And it’s all the more amazing because it resonates with so many of us. Why? We love our children, and we love being their mothers, but sometimes we hate doing “it” because “it” as we have defined it, is an impossible job.”

7. T | May 22, 2008, 12:09 am

Well, I’m currently reviewing a book written by another blogger, Lisa Natoli of GorgeousForGod.com. In her book, Gorgeous for God, page 123:

“The surprising thing about these early chapters of A Course in Miracles is how much Jesus is asking us to teach others. To allow our bodies to be an empty vessel for the Holy Spirit. The entire “training period” of A Course in Miracles is only to remove the blocks that are in us so that the Holy Spirit can use our bodies to extend His Mind through us. That we may demonstrate the Love and Laws of God on earth, as it is in Heaven.”

Funny… I’ve been blogging about that myself lately. Just gotta get “me” out of the way so that God can do his work, ya know.

Yeah, its really buddhalicious, isn’t it? Would you expect anything less from me? :)

8. Susan | May 22, 2008, 9:31 am

Interesting selection of books and quotes — thanks!

I recently started The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Moving and gripping story so far. Here are the sentences on Page 123:

“I remember turning my face up to the sky, squinting, breathing like the world was running out of air. I lay on the side of the dirt road next to a rocky trench, looked up to the gray morning sky, thankful for air, thankful for light, thankful to be alive.
    ‘We’re in Pakistan, Amir,” Baba said…”

Amir, the young protagonist, and his father (Baba) had just fled Afghanistan after the Soviet invasion by hiding in a fuel truck.

Wow. Great writing.

9. T | May 22, 2008, 11:33 am

Beautiful writing Susan! I like this post. It gives me more ideas of books I have yet to read.

10. Susan | May 24, 2008, 1:45 pm

Two of my wonderful readers emailed me their reading selections, and agreed I could post them here. Thanks for sharing what you’re reading, even if I have no ideas what Bob’s is about.

Bob

And now, a reading from the Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings Volume 536, “Nanocrystalline and Nanocrystalline Semiconductors – 1998.”

“With such characteristics, the incident IV radiation is partially absorbed and converted into visible radiation that can be highly transmitted through the PSi film and efficiently absorbed by the wafer or the junction. The UV measurements show enhancement of the photoresponse at 366nm as compared with control prototypes without PSi. Details about the enhancement process are discussed.”

I’m sure you all already recognized it, but in case you didn’t, this was from the abstract for “Silicon-Based UV Detector Prototypes Using Luminescent Porous Silicon Films.” It’s a personal favorite.

Kweenmama

From “Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.”

“Not hurt! You look into her eyes and tell me she ain’t hurt!”

Mama came back from the kitchen with Stacey behind her.

11. Lisa | May 26, 2008, 11:37 am

I tried following the directions on the book experiment and the 3 sentences after the 5 on page 123 were just nonsensical at best. So, after seeing the things on “Cupid passed out and do we have to wait for love” or something like that while browsing your site, I decided to just write down the books I’ve been reading because they just seem to fit and I really like them. “Reading Lolita in Tehran, A Memoir in Books” By Azar Nafisi,
    “Love Will Find You: 9 Magnets to Bring You and Your Soulmate Together” By Kathryn Alice
    “Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love” By Helen Fisher
    “Enchanted Love: The Mystical Power of Intimate Relationships” By Marianne Williamson