Yet another reason I love chocolate

First, let me say a big Thank You! for your comments about my engagement news (for the full effect, start with Part I) — it was so nice to get the “thumbs up” from everyone. But seeing I’ve already jumped out of a plane and am now jumping for joy I better figure out what I can do next in order to keep my blog stats up!

I confess I knew the big question was coming because we had talked about our next step — and, therefore, I had the posts and punchline “written” in my head for at least a month — but I didn’t know exactly when or how he’d propose. I met up with him over Valentine’s Day weekend in Norfolk, Virginia, where he was on his 2-week annual Navy Reserves tour. I suspected it might happen while I was there and he didn’t disappoint.

And J. knows me too well: I’m a sucker for the creative, straightforward and sincere approach. I also love chocolate, so it was fitting that he asked me with M&Ms – ones that said:

“Susan” (White M&Ms) “Will You” (Pink) “Marry Me” (Red)

(He backed it up with a  verbal, non-dessert proposal.)

He got me a mini-gumball machine full of extras because, sure enough, I had to eat some of the initial stash. He knows me too well.

Anyhoo, with the cat out of the bag we’re heading into planning mode. I always thought if I got married again it would be a small affair, but this is J.’s first marriage (and let’s hope his last!) and he has a large extended family. It’s a tad overwhelming, but I suppose me having some experience and perspective from the first time around helps. It’s all good.

Or, as T-Rex said a few days ago, “Mom, it’s weird and exciting.”

Yep.

Tags: , , , , ,

13 Responses to “Yet another reason I love chocolate”

1. The Exception | February 27, 2009, 3:40 pm

It is very exciting!! I hope that the kids are doing well with the idea and are into the fun of it too!! And cute… M&M’s!

2. Jeff Mac, manslations.com | February 27, 2009, 6:24 pm

Holy crap, congratulations!!! Nice work, Susan!

3. T | February 27, 2009, 6:50 pm

Yes, Jeff Mac, I agree! Holy crap!!!

How did I miss this?

Its not like you didn’t warn me but still!!

Congrats girl! I can’t even believe it… especially thinking of all that you’ve been through just since I’ve known you. Just…. Wow and YAY!!!

I’m the happiest of happy for you all!

4. Allison | February 27, 2009, 6:54 pm

Oh, that is SO sweet! I’m so happy for you :)

5. Susan | March 1, 2009, 11:53 am

Thank you! Jeff and T, check out my last 2 posts – “A blog, a law and a little luck – Parts I and II” – for more details and the lead-in to this post.

And, good news for all: I’ve managed NOT to dip into my M&M stash after that day. Now THAT’s somethin’!

6. MindyMom | March 2, 2009, 9:23 am

I say you run all the wedding plans by us bloggers for approval. Just kiddin’. What a great time for you!

7. Terry | March 2, 2009, 4:02 pm

Creative, straightforward, and sincere indeed. And who can resist M&Ms? What a great story!

8. single mom seeking | March 2, 2009, 11:48 pm

I’m finally catching up hot mama… thanks to Depot Dad giving me the head’s up on the phone.

Oh the M&Ms!!

I’m so incredibly excited for you!! Wow, wow, wow.

Can’t wait to see you soon! xoxo

9. Legal Editor Mom | March 3, 2009, 3:46 pm

Susan,
    We’ve been out of touch for a bit, but never in a million years did I expect this! Congrats!! I’m so very happy for you, and wishing you a lifetime of happiness…

10. Katherine SOLOdotmom | March 3, 2009, 4:22 pm

So happy for you. I just found your site from Single Mom Still Seeking and what awesome news… and a wonderful way for him to propose.

Thanks for sharing.

11. Janak | March 3, 2009, 4:48 pm

Congratulations. What a creative proposal. It beats getting married on a drunken dare. *look at shoes, scuff feet*

12. K Nelson (Illinois) | March 3, 2009, 6:35 pm

Wow, I read all 3 posts. What a great story. CONGRATULATIONS! Sent here by SMS, going to have to subscribe to you too! Can’t wait to read as you plan the wedding!

13. red pen mama | March 4, 2009, 3:17 pm

what exciting news. I’m getting caught up on the story, still, but just want to offer a quick & hearty: Congrats!

ciao,